Choosing your work clothes can be difficult when first starting a job. Until you're there long enough to get the feel of the office culture, it may be hard to tell exactly what is appropriate. To be sure you don't make a fashion faux pas, it's best to side with being on the conservative side, at least for awhile. That way, you can never go wrong. A few reminders below can be helpful when dressing for the workplace:
1. Choose wisely
- When in doubt, always choose the outfit that looks good on you. That will give you an added confidence while you are on the job. You will have plenty to do during the time you are at the office, so don't complicate the situation by wearing clothes that are inappropriate and you will know the difference. The boss will be impressed if you dress with caution, too. No need to start getting looks from the higher-ups simply because of your clothes.
2. If your office has a dress code, stick to it
- The dress code at your office has been put in place by people who expect a certain professional atmosphere in the office. In order to achieve that, they require that employees dress in a certain way. By paying attention to what is on the acceptable list, you are also making a statement that you are a team player and have no trouble following the rules. This gets you points that you probably never even thought about it.
3. But everyone does it
- Let's go back to the dress code for a minute. If you notice that most of the people around you don't dress according to the list, that's no reason for you to do it. You know that it's not the correct way to go and yes, you probably could get away with wearing a pair of sandals with bare feet. For example, if sandals are on the list of "inappropriate footwear" for the office, why put yourself in that position? You risk having a supervisor giving you a gentle reminder about it and before you know it, there is a little item in your personnel folder. Make it easy on everyone by adhering to the list and then it will never be an issue.
4. Suck it up and dress accordingly
- You may not be happy with the way you are required to dress while at the office, but who is? Sometimes you have to just go with the flow if you want to work there without the stress of pushing the envelope a little too far. A simple thing like a wrong dress choice can start to make a mountain out of a molehill, and who needs that?
You are at work to do your job, not worry whether you are wearing the latest fashion. Just stick with choices outlined in the dress code. Shop for clothes in the career section of the department store. Those two ways of dressing for the office should suit you just fine.